Chicken is browned with colombo seasoning and braised with onions, coconut milk, lime juice, and herbs. It is finished with bananas and pistachio nuts. This is a popular dish served over Creole Rice in the French West Indies.
Prep Time: 20 minutes
Cook Time: 1 hour
Total Time: 1 hour, 20 minutes
* 2 Tablespoons sunflower oil
* 1 Tablespoon butter
* 2 pounds chicken
* 4 Tablespoons colombo powder (see Note below)
* 2 cups chicken broth
* 2 cups peeled and chopped onions
* 1 can (14 ounces) coconut milk
* 1 clove garlic, crushed
* 2 Tablespoons freshly squeezed lime juice
* 2 Tablespoons fresh thyme
* 2 Tablespoons chopped chives
* 3 Tablespoons chopped parsley
* 1 teaspoon chopped Scotch Bonnet pepper
* 1 Tablespoon salt
* 1 Tablespoon pepper
* 1 cup peeled and chopped banana
* 1/2 cup shelled pistachios (optional)
In a large saucepan, heat the oil and butter. Stir in the chicken and colombo powder. Cook over medium heat for 15 minutes until brown.
Add the chicken broth, onions, 1/2 can of coconut milk, garlic, lime juice, thyme, chives, parsley, Scotch Bonnet pepper, salt, and pepper. Simmer over medium heat for 45 minutes. Turn off the heat.
Stir in the remaining coconut milk, the bananas, and pistachios.
Serve hot with Creole Rice.
Yield: 6 servings
Note: Colombo powder is French West Indies curry powder - a mixture of cumin, coriander, brown mustard, Malabar black pepper, cloves, fenugreek, and turmeric. Check gourmet shops and ethnic sections of your market.